Technical Instructional Writer & Videographer
Full-Time Position in Cape Town
Fixed-Term Contract (12 months), starting April 2021
Please note: Freelancers are not eligible for this role.
We wish to appoint a strong technical writer into a full-time position, starting April 2021.
The Role and Work
We seek a strong, confident writer to research, structure, and write instructional e-learning content, which includes video creation, for our international client, a major manufacturer of laptops, desktops and tablets. The subject matter covers hardware and software support, and is created for online delivery to our client’s global workforce.
You need to be comfortable learning, writing, and videoing material about a range of subjects covering the use and support of new technologies including hardware, software and gadgets. If you are professionally-minded and relish the challenge, this could be an interesting new career opportunity.
In addition to technical writing and editing, and videography experience, the work would give you a grounding in an Instructional Design career; one that you we hope you will grow in with us, but that you can also ply almost anywhere in the world.
Location & Training
Our office is in the Cape Town CBD, near Greenmarket Square. At present, all work is being done remotely, but in time we expect to re-open the office with appropriate COVID-19 protocols in place to prevent transmission of the SARS-CoV-2 virus. At that time, regular in-office work will become routine, along with ongoing remote work, so reasonable proximity and access to Cape Town is essential. Initial (remote) training will be provided, followed by on-the-job guidance from experienced colleagues.
- You must have a University degree, in any discipline.
- You will have to demonstrate your excellent English writing skills, starting with your letter of application.
- You must be a fast learner, able to research and structure technical material that may be unfamiliar to you, quickly and sensibly.
- You must have an eye for detail, and be able to produce content that adheres to a specific House Style.
- You need to have experience of shooting video and editing raw footage and audio to meet tight deadlines.
- You will need to be comfortable working with hardware prototypes, and have an aptitude for familiarising yourself with new software tools.
- Proficient computer literacy and familiarity with Microsoft Office are assumed.
- You must be adaptable, independent, and able to work with a minimum of supervision
- Cross disciplinary experience
- Familiarity with IT- and business-related subject matter
- Unafraid to tackle simple HTML
- Aptitude for working with new software tools and hardware
- Instructional Design experience
- You should be highly efficient, and able to meet deadlines regularly and consistently.
- You need to be comfortable in a dynamic environment where change is constant.
- You need to be able to work constructively with colleagues and managers.
The total “cost-to-company” of the remuneration package is in the approximate range of R16k – R20k pm, according to qualifications and experience.
To apply, please send a covering letter and your CV to writer0321 at laragh.com, using the reference W0321-WEB, and indicating where you first saw the position advertised, or who referred you.
- Applications without a letter of motivation and samples of your own writing will not be considered.
- Freelancers are not eligible for this work. We wish to appoint a full-time employee.