Technical Instructional Writers (Junior)
Fixed-Term Contracts, July 2021 to June 2022
Opportunities for University Graduates
A career in Technical Writing or Instructional Design might not be something you considered or were aware of when you selected your field of study. Though it is a well-established professional area in other parts of the world, it is still less widely known in South Africa, but is growing rapidly as our region becomes known for its cost-efficient access to world class skills.
Of particular relevance during the Covid-19 pandemic is that this occupation is well suited to remote working. Our Writers / Instructional Designers (IDs) were easily able to transition to remote working as we moved into lockdown under the national state of disaster in March 2020, and we expect that in the future remote working will continue to feature strongly as part of the way we operate.
We seek strong, confident writers with backgrounds in any discipline to research, structure, write and occasionally edit technical e-learning content for our primary international clients, being a major e-learning provider, and a major manufacturer of laptops, desktops and tablets. The subject matter ranges from hardware and software support and technical and end-user IT training, to Legal Compliance and Environmental Health & Safety legislation in the US, UK and Canada. The content is created for online delivery to global professional audiences in corporate environments.
This work would give you a grounding in an Instructional Design career; one that you we hope you will grow in with us, but that you could also ply almost anywhere in the world.
Location & Training
Our office is in the Cape Town CBD. At present, all work is being done remotely, but in time we expect to re-open the office with appropriate Covid-19 protocols in place to prevent transmission of the SARS-CoV-2 virus. At that time, regular in-office work will become routine, along with remote work, so reasonable proximity and access to Cape Town is essential.
Initial (remote) training will be provided, followed by on-the-job guidance from experienced colleagues.
- Have a university degree, in any discipline
- Have excellent English writing skills (which you need to demonstrate in your letter of application, and – if invited – in a short writing exercise)
- Be able to research and structure technical material, quickly and sensibly
- Have an eye for detail, and be able to write or edit content to adhere to a specific House Style
- Be a fast learner, unafraid of getting to grips with subject matter that will often be new to you
- Be proficiently computer-literate, and familiar with Microsoft Office
- Be adaptable, independent, and able to work with a minimum of supervision
- Cross-disciplinary experience
- Familiarity with IT- and business-related subject matter
- Unafraid to tackle simple HTML
- Aptitude for working with new software tools and hardware
- Instructional Design experience
- Experience of shooting video and editing raw footage and audio
- You should be highly efficient, and able to meet deadlines regularly and consistently
- You need to be comfortable with a dynamic environment where change is constant
- You need to be able to work constructively with colleagues and managers
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter that demonstrates your writing ability and explains why you are well-suited to the position, along with some writing samples to writer0521 at laragh.com, using the reference W0521-WEB, and indicating where you first saw the positions advertised.
- Applications without a letter of motivation and samples of your own writing will not be considered.
- Freelancers are not eligible for this work. We are seeking full-time employees.
- Remuneration range is R15k – R20k per month, cost to company, according to qualifications and experience.