Instructional Content Editor, August 2023 (Hybrid)
We seek a strong, experienced, efficient editor and instructional designer to support our teams of Instructional Writers and our Content Production Managers. The successful applicant will be employed in a full-time, permanent position. Freelancers are thus not eligible and should please not apply. Preference will be given to candidates who are able to work at least one day a week in our office in the Cape Town CBD.
The Instructional Content Editor is responsible for ensuring that the written parts of the e-learning content we develop for our clients adheres to their guidelines, is instructionally sound, and is written in clear, concise, grammatically correct English in the appropriate tone for the audience of adult professionals.
The Instructional Content Editor trains new writing staff members, provides guidance and feedback for existing writing staff members, and helps to ensure that content production stays on schedule.
- Editing scripts written by Instructional Writers
- Curriculum planning, and writing original scripts as required
- Designing and delivering training to Instructional Writers (both new and existing)
- Providing guidance and support for Instructional Writers
- Ensuring that clients’ guidelines and editorial style sheets are adhered to
- You must have a university degree, in any discipline.
- You must be a South African citizen or permanent resident, or be in possession of a work permit for South Africa.
- You will have to demonstrate your excellent English writing skills, starting with your letter of motivation.
- You must be a fast learner, able to research, plan and structure material on subject matter that may be unfamiliar to you, quickly and sensibly.
- You must have an eye for detail, and be able to edit content to ensure its adherence to a specific House Style.
- Proficient computer literacy and familiarity with Microsoft Office are assumed.
- You must be adaptable, independent, committed, disciplined, and able to work without supervision.
- Instructional design experience
- Experience with Canvas, Articulate, or other e-learning authoring tools
- Exposure to cross-disciplinary content
- Familiarity with IT- and business-related subject matter
- Unafraid to tackle simple HTML
- You should be highly efficient, and able to meet deadlines regularly and consistently.
- You need to be adaptable, and comfortable in a dynamic environment where change is constant.
- You need to be able to work constructively with colleagues and managers.
This is a mid-level position in a relatively small organisation (currently 48 employees). The remuneration package we offer will be market-related, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply, please send a motivational letter and your CV, including samples of your own writing, to editor0823 at laragh.com, using the reference E0823-WEB, and indicating where you first saw the position advertised, or who referred you.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to complete and submit an editing assignment as part of our screening procedures.